• My background was a career in Interior Design where I worked in Store Planning and Architects studio. Also while my children were young I did undertake classes in tapestry weaving as I have always had a love of textiles. Apart from drafting architectural drawings I had not painted before joining Sophies art class.
• With a design background it has definitely influenced the approach I take to my art and the subject matter painted. Still life and landscapes are of particular interest, with composition and colour shading being important elements.
• Had wanted to join an art class that gave the flexibility of doing work at my own pace and the subject matter of my own choice with guidance from Sophie with like minded people, without very formal structured art school lessons. But still having lessons in important elements to guide our painting projects.
• The beginner classes that stand out for me were the very first lesson that involved drawing cones, ellipses and circles that I keep going back to.
• Mediums tried are charcoal, pastels, gouache and watercolour. Gouache is my preference as it suits the style of my work.
• Definitely learn from classmates and yes very supported.
• Yes our class does provide an opportunity to showcase our art but for me its not a priority, I just love the creative process of painting.